10.10.2013

Something to Think About Thursday: Are you JUST a stay-at-home mom?

 I really am so grateful to be able to stay at home to my girls. I think there is a stigma about stay at home moms that we "just" stay home and I know I have friends who wonder what I do all day and wish they could stay home and think I am on some sort of vacation all the time. Matt Walsh, the author of, "You're a stay-at-home mom? What do you DO all day?"  understands what I wish everyone  could understand, that being a mother is hard work that never ends. I love how he explains how his wife "just" stays home with the kids...


"Yes, my wife is JUST a mother. JUST. She JUST brings forth life into the universe, and she JUST shapes and molds and raises those lives. She JUST manages, directs and maintains the workings of the household, while caring for children who JUST rely on her for everything. She JUST teaches our twins how to be human beings, and, as they grow, she will JUST train them in all things, from morals, to manners, to the ABC’s, to hygiene, etc. She is JUST my spiritual foundation and the rock on which our family is built. She is JUST everything to everyone. And society would JUST fall apart at the seams if she, and her fellow moms, failed in any of the tasks I outlined."
Behind every fun library wee read storytime there is a melt down because we don't want to leave the library or feelings of being a bad mom as your little one runs through the library screaming. Behind every craft there is a sticky mess that requires a bath, which then causes a flood of water that needs to be mopped up. Behind every snack there are crumbs that need to be vacuumed up and clothes that need to be changed for the umpteenth time. Behind every playdate there is stress of hoping and teaching your child to share, take turns, to talk nice , use their words and keep their hands to themselves. Behind every nap there is a to do list that is never ending. Behind every dinner made there is a cranky toddler who is hungry, thirsty, tired and wants you to play with them. Don't get me wrong, being a mother and a stay-at-home mom is the best job in the world, but it is not a vacation and it is not all fun and games. It is however, the most rewarding and important job. Sometimes I take it for granted, but today I am extra grateful and recommitted to appreciate everything that comes with "just" being a stay-at-home mom. 

No comments: