11.08.2013

Beauty/Fitness Friday: "Fitspiration"

Have you ever hear of the term "fitspiration"? It has replaced "thinspiration" which has actually become a banned hashtag because of its pro-anorexia obsessions. I was introduced to this term on Instagram, but it is also all over Pinterest and other social medias.  Fitspiration involves images or quotes that aim to motivate people to adapt to a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, what none of these body image hashtags takes into consideration is the positive or negative influence they have on the individual. Even something that has the best intentions can do more harm than good.



I am guilty of pinning these images which always claim to have the best paleo 30 day diet that will get your tummy flat or instructions for a burning core pyramid or 50 habits of think people... 
But really, let's be honest for a minute... who works out in those clothes or lack there of? What are these images really telling us? I love and follow Beauty Redefined  and I love how they question the motives of some of these images. "...the image would lead one to assume it is a look – a vision of oneself – that is the goal. A sexually appealing, “to be looked at” goal that leaves little room for worrying about internal indicators of health or meeting a fitness goal like hiking to the top of that peak or finishing that race or getting your heart rate up every day. My fitness board on Instagram is titled "It's About Healthy", but is it really? Do my pins reflect my intention and motivate me to be healthy? 

When looking for true inspiration Beauty Redefined suggests we ask ourselves "if these images and texts motivate you to respect your body as something that can do so much good, make and reach fitness goals, and maintain health that will keep you happy and able, then they are appropriate for you. If they motivate you to worry about being looked at or to improve parts of your body to meet a beauty ideal you see in media, you must be aware of this."

Where do you find your inspiration? I want to be healthy. I want to be able to run and play with my kids and grandkids some day. I want to be a good role model for my girls. I want them to be be confident, healthy and happy. I always joke with my hubby and tell him I want to live to be 105, but really I want to live a long, healthy life together. They are my inspiration. Of course I want to look good too, but I think when we are healthy we are happy and "happy girls are the prettiest!" 




No comments: